Healing with Homeopathy
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a low risk and holistic system of medicine, which is over 200 years old and is widely used and trusted throughout the world. It was developed by Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician and chemist by confirming the already known principle of like cures like.
For example, the plant Monkshood, or Aconitum Napellus, when taken by a healthy person will produce feelings of panic, restlessness and thirst similar to the flight or fight response known as a panic attack. When this plant is highly diluted and specially prepared as a homeopathic remedy, it can be used to help restore balance in certain people who present with similar symptoms.
Why choose Homeopathy?
- It works
- Low risk with no toxic side effects and non-addictive
- It is perfect for babies, pregnant mums, the elderly, pets
- You can learn to alleviate the symptoms of everyday ailments yourself.
- All natural
- The main thing to consider when choosing a therapy is the level of risk. Because natural therapies have a much lower risk level than pharmaceutical medications and medical procedures, it is a safer option to start with natural medicines before moving to higher risk options.
Homeopathic medicines are low risk with no harmful side effects.
These reports are sobering:
- The total number of adverse reactions to drugs in Australia from the 1999-2000 year (those resulting in hospital admission and those that did not) was 400.000 (Australian Journal of Pharmacy, 83, September 2002, 774)
- There are 140.000 hospital admission in Australia every year because of misused pharmaceutical drugs (Australian Journal of Pharmacy, 83, September 2002, 774)
25% of Australian hospital admissions are for iatrogenic (medically caused) or drug related diseases. (Current Therapeutics, July 2000, 76-79)
- In the US, doctors are the third leading cause of death, with iatrogenic (medically caused) disease accounting for 250,000 deaths every year (12,000 from unnecessary surgery, 7,000 from medication errors in hospitals, 20,000 from other errors in hospitals, 80,000 from infection in hospitals, 106,000 from the negative effects of drugs) (Journal of the American Medical Association, 84, July 26, 2000)
- Every year in Australia 1400 people die because of adverse drug effects (Independent Month Oct 1994, 36-43)
- Every year in Australia 14,000 people die from medical error in hospitals. (These figures from 1995) (The Australian, March 15, 1999, 17)
- Natural medicines are seen as being much safer than drug based therapies. (Current Therapeutics, July 2000, 76-79)
- Drugs are 22 times more likely to cause an adverse health event than natural products (Natural Health Review may 2002 14-16)
- Only 10-20% of all standard medical procedures have been validated by controlled clinical trials (Complementary Medicine, July/August 2002, 33-35)
- Up to 15% of hospital admission in Europe are cause by adverse drug reactions (Australian Journal of Pharmacy, 83, November 2002, 885)
As drug bills spiral and evidence emerges that certain drugs routinely prescribed in the UK on the NHS are no better than placebos, maybe it is time for the sceptics to stop the witch hunt and look at putting their own house in order.
Do Homeopathic and other Natural Medicines Work?
Most people who seek natural treatment do so because their needs are not being met by standard or specialist medical treatment.
They may have been told that there is no treatment or their treatment has caused unpleasant or even severe side effects.
The vast body of literature and research about homeopathy and its practice is mostly ignored or misrepresented by medical authorities and the media. Most of the media reports on homeopathy are biased and negative. There seems to be an army of people who are determined to stamp it out. In spite of this, thousands of doctors and natural therapists around the world, especially in Europe and India, successfully use homeopathy.
Ongoing criticism of natural therapies is due to claims that they are not scientifically proven. There is often much more behind this statement than a genuine concern for patient health care. Many medical treatments, which go unquestioned, are also not scientifically proven and can cause serious side effects.
The medical rhetoric is to continue with orthodox treatment until other medicines are proven, but there tends to be more interest in proving the other therapy wrong, than investigating it with an open scientific approach. We think that orthodox medical treatments should be met with at least the same level of caution as the much safer treatments.
What happens in a homeopathic consultation?
Your first consultation will take 1-1 1/2 hours.
During this time your homeopath will be very interested in your medical history (and that of your family), and your unique physical, mental and emotional symptoms. This facilitates the selection of a remedy, which has been proven to produce those same symptoms.
Your homeopath will also take particular note of such things as:
- Sleeping patterns, tolerance for weather conditions, food cravings or aversions, digestion etc.
- Other past or present treatment, medical and natural.
- Previous test results.
Other tests may be ordered to understand the cause of the condition and any obstacles to cure that may be present.
After about a month to six weeks your homeopath will need to review your response to the remedy. Of course, communication regarding responses in acute conditions and any significant changes or concerns, are welcome before this time by phone or email.
What will happen after I take the remedy?
Important for you to take note of the following:
- Changes of:
- Any new symptoms
- Recurrence of symptoms you have previously experienced.
People of all ages, from the elderly to newborns can reap the benefits of homeopathy. The course of recovery varies from person to person. It is therefore important to report significant changes to your homeopath, as there may be a need to change:
- The strength of your prescribed remedy
- The frequency of the dose
- The remedy
Do I have to stop taking my medication prescribed by my doctor?
It is advisable to continue with any current medications you have been prescribed, both conventional and natural.
There are no documented contraindications or drug interactions with other medicines or therapies.
NB it is also advisable that you don’t begin any new treatments at the same time as starting your homeopathic medicine so that your homeopath can be sure that your progress is due to your prescribed remedy.